Tuesday 31 March 2009

Day Thirty

Ok so I decided to do one last post. Tom picked me up bright and early at 530 this morning after a totally sleepless night thanks to my neighbours playing "Eye of the Tiger" on repeat til gone 3am. As Courtney was still feeling a bit sick she passed out pretty early and slept right through it. Lucky $@@%^&!!! :) Still she was a total sweetheart and got up with me to say goodbye. Vicki also stopped my last night to say bye and give me a little leaving gift - some playing cards from Norman island with pirates on them. Lots of interesting nuggets and snippets of pirate lore - very cool. Thanks hun and I'm sorry I broke your watch too :(

So Tom gives me a ride to the airport and there is already a pretty big Q of people waiting to check in. So much for the airport only opening at 6am? I got my bags checked in (completely in shock that they were still under the weight limit!!!) and went to pay my exit fee before going through security. Bit of a shambles at security as there seemed to be only one woman doing all the work even though there were another 6 people stood around in uniform! Didn't have long to wait before we started boarding and as it was a free for all regarding getting a seat I think I was lucky to get in the front row and have no one next to me! Was hoping to get some good aerial shots of Tortola but it turns out I was sat on the wrong side. Ah well. Still I got a couple when we were coming into land at St Maarten.



The same beach as above but from the ground!

I was hoping that the Air France desk would be open when I arrived but there was no chance of that happening when the flight wouldn't be taking off for another 7 hours!! So I had to sit in the airport for about 3 1/2 hours waiting for the desk to get organised. Watching them trying to set up the lanes for passengers was quite entertaining as really it was yet another shambles. I think I could have done it myself in about 10 minutes and it took 6 of them about 25 minutes! Oh dear. Anyway I finally get my bags checked all the way through to Manchester and then head out of the airport to a little mall about 10 minutes walk away. Just round the corner from the mall is the beach above and it was really lovely, well if not for the fact that it is right on the flight path and if you stand in just the right place (about 20 yards across) you'll get blasted by the engines as they rev up to take off! Quick way of getting a "tan" if ever there was one. Hehe

So I have a mooch about the pretty much closed mall and gape in shock at the prices of some bikinis in the one shop that was open! Over $120 for a bikini brand I've never even heard of?! Is that just St Maarten for you? Then I walk down to the beach and sit there for a spell trying to drag the hours out. I suppose I look pretty daft sat on the beach in jeans and hoody while everyone else is in swim togs. Still maybe they thought I was a local and was cold as really it is still winter?! Ha! I manage to not rip my clothes off and go for a swim in that beautiful blue water and drag myself back to the airport for some food. One Quizno's sub later I am sated and head for security (memories of my first time through SXM security running through my head). Surprisingly there are very few people (in comparison) waiting in line so I sail through (after practically stripping off) and find a comfy spot for some Z's.

I was hoping to have the seat next to me free for the return leg but no such luck. The flight wasn't even full either and the guy knew someone closer to the front so when I saw that I thought he'd head down there to sit nearer her. Still no luck. So I had to put up with him coughing and being "fragrant" all the way back. Could not sleep so I watched Wall-E (FAB!!) and a couple of other not-too-memorable movies. Arrived in Paris to a drastic drop in temperature and after a bus ride pretty much all the way around the airport I was deposited into the correct terminal. Confronted by lots of premium brand stores after security was too tempting to not have a browse, not that I would have been able to buy anything! So then I hauled myself to the furthest gate possible to take off from and finally managed some Z's for the 1 1/2 hour flight to Manchester. Thankfully Manchester was not to type and was actually sunny! Gosh will wonders never cease?

An hour's drive (thank you Mr Taxi Man from Gold Line) and I was pulling up to the hotel a full 24 hours of travel later. Boy is it weird being back home. But luckily I am tanned and glowing and have apparently dropped a few pounds so all is good. Now I need to organise selling my car and some other of my accumulated worldly goods so I can partake in this dream of mine. Let's hope the credit crunch isn't too harsh that it takes forever to happen.

Thanks to everyone at SCD for making my time there fun AND educational. Massive thanks to Courtney for being a fab person to room with and share the month with. (Already miss you hun). And finally thanks to you readers for visiting. I hope you've enjoyed my tales and hopefully if I get my stuff sorted I may link you to another blog about becoming an instructor and what happens after....?!
Love n hugs
H x

No comments:

Post a Comment