Tuesday 3 March 2009

Day Two

I haven't worked today as all new interns have to shadow their mentors for at least the first week and Tom was off today too. So I went into the office (at 8am, even on my day off!) to see if I could catch a lift into Road Town. Managed to get a ride on one of the boats that was heading there to pick up some German cruise ship passengers. There were 3 ships in port today and boy was town busy. One road in particular was just heaving with traffic - totally bumper to bumper. I had a walk about and tried to orientate myself with the place. When we were heading in it looked really cloudy and yes after a couple of hours of mooching about the heavens opened! Quite the downpour but then I suppose that's what keeps the island green eh? I've taken some photos (see below) and have some more to add from Day One and also of the apartment in a separate post. I'm currently in the crew room using the computer rather than my own as I haven't been able to get the wireless thing set up on my laptop yet.

Anyway town is quite nice. There are some really pretty buildings and Main St is quite cute. There is also a small craft village (below) right next to the harbour with all sorts of T-shirts, keyrings, cups, hats and general tat to buy with BVI or Tortola on it. I was looking for a cup to use in the crew room ($6!) and another pair of shorts as my nice ones already have boat grease on them!! So I found myself a pair of red Billabongs for (OMG!!!) $45. I dunno whether they tack on a few extra bucks because it's cruise ship day or if that is always the price but then I guess BVI is expensive for pretty much everything. I also found the supermarkets and so have a bit more food for the week.



You'll notice as you go anywhere in BVI that chickens (especially) are everywhere. These two (above) were having a spot of brunch at the craft market!
I was told to flag down a taxi for the journey back and after about 10 minutes managed to get one to take me back to the Marina. Two others stopped to askme where I was headed but then drove on once I'd told them. When I got in the third taxi there were already 3 others in it (it's a share type of bus/taxi system) and the trip cost me $3 - not bad! Took about 10 minutes to reach Hodges Creek (well it did but then the driver drove right on past and dropped off the others first!! Only as they were getting out did he realise/remember that I was still in the back and he asked me why I didn't say anything?! I said I figured he'd just drop me off when he was headed back into town :) heheh So I managed to get a little look see in the other direction!)
Last night my roomie Courtney (above) and I walked along to Pusser's - a bar/restaurant about 10 minutes walk down the road. One of the other staff said they did great pizzas so we figured we'd go take a look. I ordered a medium mushroom pizza (apparently the small is only 4 inches!) and it came out a good 11 inches across. Way bigger than I normally get so I had the rest today for lunch. It was really, really good. The base is just right - not too thin that the pizza flops over when you're holding it but not too thick that you're full of dough and not toppings! Cost about $17. While we were waiting for it we decided to have a drink in the bar. Cocktails were on Courtney as she'd received $25 in tips that day. She ordered a margarita and wasn't impressed and I had a "Nelsons Blood" - rum (at least a double measure was poured straight in with no actual measuring!!), cranberry, orange, lime and angoustura bitters. Really quite tasty but the rum was pretty darn strong and even though I was eventually eating my pizza at the bar too, I felt a wee bit woozy on the walk home. (Am I a total lightweight?) It wasn't that comforting to see the bar person having to read the menu to know what to mix - I actually mentioned to Court that it was hardly Tom Cruise in Cocktail and she said she was thinking exactly the same!! Hehehehe! :D
My first night's sleep wasn't that great but the second was much better - was that all to do with the rum? Quite possibly!
It is now barely 3pm and I feel like I've already had quite a full day. I think I'll be heading back to the apartment to chill out, read some of my new book/my intern folder and get ready for Day Three - cruise ship day with NCL.
Love n hugs
H x

1 comment:

  1. Hello Babes,
    Well sounds like your finding your feet and your fin's :0)
    So whats the local choice - seen anything you fancy?
    I was so happy to hear you had arrived safely and that everything seems relaxed.
    How was Day 3 with the cruise ship guests - busy i'll bet.
    I'm fine since my car accident, woman in front of me, went across the line at roundabout and then stopped and my car stopped in the back - so my insurance! Anyway tell more in email. I'm still in agony so being at the notebook for to long isn't the best.
    Anyway missing you loads - but glad your having a blast.
    Are you doing your photo a day! Where you going to put them on here?
    Also did you load the photo's from friday night to facebook - they should be funny!
    xx
    & take care of you
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete