Wednesday 4 March 2009

Day Three

Today was crazy! We had a full boat for both morning and afternoon trips with passengers from the NCL Dawn cruise line. There were 16 divers in the am for 2 dives on the RMS Rhone and then 40 snorkelers in the afternoon for 2 1/2 hour snorkels next to Norman Island. Everyone was really friendly and very generous with tips (and the best thing is that interns get to share in the tips split too!), even the snorkelers who didn't require as much as assistance.
Yet again the heavens opened and we had a real heavy down pour. It only lasted about 3/4 hour max but it was right when we were tying off the boat back at Marina Cay to drop of the guests to the ship. No one wanted to get off! Emily (the captain for today) had to tell them they HAD to leave as we needed to get back under way! :) So not only did I get completely soaked but so did every one else!!
I also think I spoke a bit too soon with regards to getting my sea legs. I was sick so many times today I lost count - it had to be at least 5!! Ughhh :( Everyone said to keep drinking lots of water and keep myself hydrated but it just all ended up coming back up again. I found myself with a fab pulsing headache and no way of keeping down a couple of nurofen. I attempted to eat lunch but that too paid me a return visit. Oy! I am going to have to get me some sea sick tablets or ginger because this can't go on. Apparently everyone goes through it and it seems to be a great weight loss tactic too as I don't feel like eating much right now, evn though I'm starving! I think today has been the hardest day so far, not only because of how busy it is but also the physical side of it too. Being sick really took all my strength away and hauling tanks, kit and so on at the end of every dive and then again at the end of the day really takes it out of you too. I should have muscles to die for come the end of this month.
I'm also finding myself covered in bruises from I don't know what! And in very strange, random places too that I think how did that get there?! My hands are getting cut up a bit and my feet too seem to be developing a tough layer on the soles. Ahhh the joys of a scuba intern, eh?
As for the dives this morning - they were both great. On the first I saw a turtle, lots of lovely fishes and there is a swim-thru on the wreck that was great but a little creepy (because so many people died on the wreck). The fishes iuncluded: balloonfish, schoolmaster, rock beauty, reef butterflyfish, yellowhead wrasse, bluehead wrasse, spotted truckfish (very cool), foureye butterflyfish and some grey snapper. The second dive saw more of the same but also a big lobster and some of the guests also saw a ray (although there was some debate over the type of ray it was!!). The second dive also had a pretty strong current although Bart (one of the DM's) said its been much stronger than that so I'm gonna have to kick harder still in future.
With the day being so crazy busy I haven't had a chance to take any photos at all today but will try to tomorrow. Also as the weather was soooo poopy it didn't seem worth it even if I'd had the time.
For anyone thinking of coming to BVI please bring (or get while you're here) a TON of mosquito repellent. I am bit all over! And they seem to find their way through the nets too. Very adaptable creatures - grrr!
Hope all is well with you.
Hugs
H xx
(Pic taken in the apartment bathroom)

1 comment:

  1. I am just fascinated! I love hearing your stories....what a fun time! I could definitely do without the mosquitoes and I am sorry that you got sick even more often today but I am sure you will soon get adjusted just fine! I am eager to read more!

    ReplyDelete