Sunday 15 March 2009

Day Thirteen & Fourteen

Yesterday I was on base all day so had quite a quiet day. Tom, Dale and I went to Sunsail again to pick up and deliver some equipment as well as try to sell some more dives. It was quite busy but not many people seemed interested in diving. I then had a few little projects to do on our return such as re-writing the sizes on all the wetsuits (they tend to fade a bit) and restocking first aid kits.
Last night Emily had a barbeque for all the staff and some of her friends that are visiting. She lives on the other side of the island so it was quite a trek to get there. Steve picked us up and dropped me off and Neil brought Court's back later as I was pretty tired.
Today was another dive day. Rob and I had 2 divers from base and then picked up another from Cooper Island. We went to Shark Point but it was too rough to pick up a mooring ball so we went to Carrot Shoals instead. That too was really bouncy and Rob took them for a 30 minute dive. I yet again had a bit of a barfing moment - even though I was wearing my bands! Still I didn't have much to feed the fish with but that yucky feeling lingered for a while. We then moved on to a reef called Black Forest just off Peter Island and I dived this one. I've never been to the site before so it was quite interesting to try and lead the divers around but as soon as we arrived there were 3 turtles - 2 small ones and one slightly larger. Very cool. Never saw them on the dive though which was disappointing. Still there were some cool fishes and lots of corals.
I also tried driving the boat today - Atlantis, a 26 foot monohull which was fab! It was really choppy for most of the journeys around so that made it pretty wet for everyone but it was great practice. I also docked the boat a couple of times - at Cooper and again back at base. I think I did really well and probably just need more practice to get it down without being told where to aim for.
There is another intern arriving this week which should be good. I also have 2 days off together which is fantastic but I have no idea what to do with myself for them. Surely I should go to another island for the night or something? We shall see...
Hope all is well with everyone
Hugs
H xx

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You drove the boat? That is so kewl. I have only been in a boat one time and I was pretty nervous because I can't swim. LOL I am sure it was a great experience for you to drive the boat and dock it!

    ReplyDelete