Monday 2 March 2009

Day One


Today has been my first day with Sail Caribbean Divers (shop at Hodges Creek Marina above) and it's been a long one! :) We start at 730am every morning with a meeting in the office to discuss what we'll each be doing that day. Some days start earlier, some later, but mostly it'll be 730am. We've only just finished today and it's now 6pm - so 10.5 hours on the boat (well pretty much). My mentor is Tom (an instructor born in Jamaica) who's a total sweet heart. Also on the boat today was a DM called Mark who has been here for about 3 months and is also from the UK. We picked up another guy called Tom from Norman Island who was completing his last 3 dives of his open water course. I joined the Toms on the first dive - which was very cool, but unfortunately no u/w pictures to show (need to get a u/w camera). Only shallow this one to about 20m for about 20 mins. Lots of lovely fishes and some great coral too - will also have to get myself a fish ID chart so I can tell you the names of them. Gonna try to post a picture of the chart (done - see below) if possible so you'll be able to see them too if I can't get a camera sorted soon.

EDITED TO ADD - Fishes/corals seen on the 1st dive include: brain coral, basket sponges, orange tube sponges, staghorn coral, gorgonian fans, balloonfish, queen triggerfish, reef butterflyfish and a few others that I now don't remember!
We moved from Angelfish reef to another place for the last 2 dives (called the Indians I think??!) and then from there took Tom back to Norman Island (where he works) and opened up the new shop they have on the beach there (see pics below). Had a quick break for some lunch (yummy chicken Caesar salad while the guys had burgers) and then headed back to the shop for some O2 administration training and run through of my rescue dive skills. It's been so long since I last did any rescue training I am somewhat rusty to say the least but the last attempt (there were only 3) was much better (so Tom says). :) Gonna have to do another rescue in a few days just to prove all is well.


I have tomorrow off as Tom is also off (I'm pretty much shadowing him this week) so I'm hoping to be able to get into Road Town so I can have a look around, get some little errands done and generally get a feel for the place. Then its back to work on Wednesday with a group from one of the cruise ships. Usually cruise days are really hectic/manic so it should be interesting - eeek! :)
Anyhoo that is it for now. I will post more and hopefully add pics soon. Hope everyone is well.
Oh PS the weather is gorgeous - I'm already getting a tan. I think the temp today was high 70's. And with all the water action my hair is getting pretty darn super curly but slightly blonder already.
PPS Just to give you a laugh I also threw up over the side today - fish food!! Still maybe I've got my sea legs now and fingers crossed that will be it :)

Love to all
H x

2 comments:

  1. Hello honey nice to see you have settled in there already! Can't believe you have been sick bless ya!!! Sounds like you are already getting into the swing of things and really hope you enjoy your stay there. Love Adele x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is gorgeous there! I love it!! Getting a tan? Oh man...if only I could! LOL I am sick of our winter weather! I love seeing this adventure through your eyes and sorry to hear about the fish food incident but at least you got that out of the way! LOL

    ReplyDelete